Monday, March 14, 2005

Xen and the Art of Virtual Maintenance!

I have always been inspired by VMware. The fact that it was started by an OS professor (Mendel Rosenblum of Stanford) was part of the halo. Then it got bought by EMC and some of the allure vanished. When Microsoft bought VirtualPC instead of VMware it appeared that the latter was doomed. EMC purchase made millionaires at VMware (I guess) while taking EMC stock down!

It seemed that the X86 chip virtualization market was pretty much sewn up by these two. IBM always held the big advantage in virtual machines back from their mainframe days. It appeared that there wasn't much scope for innovation, despite VMware's attempts to crack new markets like testing, sand-boxing, etc.

Then came Xen, an offering from another university - Cambridge. In the LinuxWorld that happened in Boston recently, Xen got endorsements from a lot of big names. Along with that came the news of a new company XenSource which has been trying to productize Xen. The founders of XenSource claim to be the originators of Xen so they have the credibility that is needed to get enterprise customers to sign up. Xen is released under GPL, so it is likely that XenSource is following the foot-steps of Cygnus - the commercial arm of GNU which was later bought by Red Hat.

There is some information available on Xen already:
Xen requires the operating systems to be modified to work. That's why most implementations of Xen today are with Linux variants (most 2.4 and 2.6 kernel based variants are supported), and that's why they have issues with porting to Windows. VMware is of course ahead of the game here. But Xen technology also enables it to be ported more easily to other OS's. Paravirtualization improves performance and companies like Novell have decided to go for Xen over user level Linux for similar reasons.

Also, any work done for a specific OS while working with Xen interfaces is not covered by GPL and is thus not bound by it. Good news for any company that wants to add to the project and also make some money by retaining IP. This also helps a project like Apache whose licenses are far more liberal than GPL.

It would be interesting to see if XenSource is able to get revenue like JBoss has, or if it finds other rivals emerging because of the lower (by definition) barrier to entry typically found in open source based organizations.

But in any case, this technology may finally provide utility computing which has been promised for a while now.

15 Comments:

Blogger 122272 said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.

If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about penis enlargement reviews. It pretty much covers penis enlargement reviews and other similar topics available.

October 6, 2005 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger unixlinux said...

Enjoyable blog. Pleasse vidit my haet linux red blog.

October 16, 2005 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger unixlinux said...

Enjoyable blog. Pleasse vidit my 21 kernel linux version blog.

October 16, 2005 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger George said...

Quick And Easy Holiday Planning. tool There's a lot to think about when planning a holiday and no matter how hard you try, you almost always forget something. The solution...
tool

October 21, 2005 at 9:43 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Nice blog!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

acrobat reader
antivirus
divx
edonkey
horoscope
jeux
partitions
recettes
telecharger emule
telecharger icq
telecharger kazaa
telecharger messenger
telecharger msn
telecharger musique
telecharger winamp

November 6, 2005 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

November 7, 2005 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger SexualEnhance said...

I've got a new site up which might to be of interest to some. I run a penis enlargement study related site.
Alot of interesting comments on this blog, I was searching for penis enlargement study related info and some how came across this site. I found it pretty cool, so I bookmarked. I'll really theme, that got my attention.

January 3, 2006 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger Smallman said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up. I have a site that might be of interested to you if you are seeking prostate health related items. You can find it here, prostate health

March 26, 2006 at 8:07 PM  
Blogger sexedman said...

Your blog is great If you ever need prostate health related stuff, I'm sure you'd be interested in prostate health

April 4, 2006 at 6:27 AM  
Blogger Greg Liddle said...

Some great info here!
My site shows you how to lower car maintenance
If you have a few minutes please pay a visit

April 5, 2006 at 9:51 PM  
Blogger superlong said...

Cool site on penis and vagina Check out my Penis Enlargement

April 16, 2006 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger superlong said...

Cool site on best penis enlargement pill Check out my Penis Enlargement

April 26, 2006 at 11:35 PM  
Blogger Rik Martin said...

Nice blog. If you are interested in other cheap penis enlargement pill related blogs visit cheap penis enlargement pill

October 1, 2006 at 3:44 AM  
Blogger Rik Martin said...

As always, you have compiled a very interesting blog here. I think you would enjoy my natural penis enlargement pill blog. You should check it out if you are interested in all things related to natural penis enlargement pill

October 5, 2006 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger Rik Martin said...

Nice blog. If you are interested in other penis enlargement products related blogs visit penis enlargement products

October 13, 2006 at 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home